13th May, 2021
53 years ago today, Eddie and Rosaleen Taylor along with Pierse Keaveney founded Dublin Crystal Glass Co. (Ireland) Ltd, based at Idrone Lane, rear of Main St., Blackrock in what had been part of McKinley’s hardware store. It was a small premises, two storey over basement. In the early 70’s, they moved to Avondale on Carysfort Ave., which was also owned by McKinleys. It was part of the Meath Industrial School founded in the 1870’s for Protestant Boys.(http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/BlackrockMeathBoysIS/). During the 1st World war it became a Military Orthopedic Hospital for wounded British soldiers. The McKinley family bought it thereafter, not sure when. There were many spooky noises within that building during our tenure. The morgue building from the hospital was in our yard. We moved from there to Brookfield Terrace to the old Apex Manufacturing factory in 1984 with help from the IDA, and then to Dundrum in 2001. The business is still in Taylor family ownership today, with Martin Taylor as Managing Director.